...

...

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Chapter 5: Suspicions Grow

"You took them." Topher yelps as Midnight confronts him as he gets up once out of the shadow of the dock.

He grumbles some choice words under his breath. "Tri, we've got a problem."

The backpack opens up and Tri climbs out. She jumps off Topher's back and looks Midnight up and down. "Topher, what have I told you about losing followers?"

He flinches, looking down. "It's really not that hard."

She sighs, "You didn't know she was following you?"

Midnight tries to back away, but she finds that she can't move. Topher shakes his head, "I'm just so sick and tired of doing these jobs. I guess I was just trying to get it over with so I could go home to my semi-normal family."

Tri nods, "Honestly, I don't get it. But, I'm sure Midnight here will feel happy to help you out."

"What?" Midnight narrows her eyes. "Why would I want to help a kid?"

Topher glares at her, "I just want to get through the next month or so until my adoption is finalized. Then Zachary will have no power over me, and I'll gladly face all my charges. I just need to bide my time until I have real parents who actually love me."

Tri rolls her eyes, "You keep quiet about what you saw, and I won't erase your memory."

--------------------------------------------------

Chef looks up from his computer screen as Midnight walks in. "You are being very late."

"That jewellry exhibit at the museum was was stolen while I was there, and the police kept me for questioning." She rolls her eyes.

He raises an eyebrow, but says only, "Get to work. I have hungry customers."

Midnight brushes off and straightens her work uniform, heading through the kitchen to the dining room. She busies herself with her work, trying to forget about the deal she made with two kids, one scared out of his mind, and the other, a mystery. "Falls out of the sky and then helps steal the most valuable exhibit we've ever had at our museum? Not on my watch."

--------------------------------------------------

Tri sighs, "I'm never helping you do anything wrong again, okay?" She rubs her arm uncomfortably. "If I get in trouble with the law, there's only one person who would take my case, and then I would have to deal with her. And that grumpy waitress better keep her mouth shut."

Topher raises an eyebrow, "I didn't know you could wipe memories..."

"I only did it once, by accident. I have no idea how I did it, either." She stiffens slightly, "Your social worker is following us, Topher."

He glances back, "Do you want to lose him and look suspicious, or talk with him and get it over with?"

She groans quietly, "Okay, but pretend I'm mute. Or deaf. Please?" Her eyes are slightly paler than normal, and Topher accepts her terms instantly.

They slow down to let the beaver catch up. "Hello, Kevin." Topher smiles politely. Tri looks down and backs away slightly, crossing her arms over her stomach and watching the man intensely with her piercing aqua eyes.

Kevin glances at her uneasily, then moves his gaze to Topher. "Christopher, can we talk? Alone?"

The cat nods his head towards Tri. "She's deaf, sir. With her here is the same as if she's not."

"All the same, I'd rather talk to you alone." The social services agent sighs quietly. "I'm sorry for being impolite, but this is a big situation."

Topher looks down sadly, then moves towards Tri. He makes some hand signals that mean, "Please follow us. I'm scared." in a special code that the two made up.

She nods and walks slowly away, giving Kevin wide berth as she passes. He narrows his eyes at Topher, "That wasn't ASL."

In response, Topher says, "We made up a special set of symbols for fun. She likes to use it more than ASL, but we both know that as well." He looks down sadly, "So... what did you need to talk to me about?"

Kevin looks uncomfortable, "We should go back to my car. Do you have to be home before a certain time?"

"Lenna asked that I would be home by one." Topher follows the man towards the red minivan reluctantly. He had basically lived in that van for the first ten years of his life, actually. "Kevin... what is this all about?"

Holding the door open for him, Kevin sighs again. "That jewel robbery. The police told me that you were there, son."

Topher flinches, "Don't call me 'son,' please. It makes me sick to my stomach."

His social worker climbs into the driver-side seat, "Sorry, Christopher. I know that." He looks worriedly at the cat, who is staring out the window. "Did you have anything to do with it?"

Biting his lower lip, Topher shakes his head. "I've changed, Kevin. I don't steal anymore."

"Really? It seems like the kind of thing you used to pull off." Kevin pulls out of his parking space and starts driving towards the house.

The cat rolls his eyes. "I never broke glass, or set off alarms. Whoever did this was way too sloppy." He looks down, "But it was a similar style to-" Topher shakes his head. "I can't say yet. But I promise, as soon as I can, I will turn him in."

Kevin looks sideways at the kid. He wants to trust Topher, but his past offences cause concern. "Okay kid. I'll take what I can get." He pulls into the driveway of the Tallens family. "Here you are, Christopher."

Topher smiles thinly, "Thanks for the ride." As he gets out, he pauses and looks back at the beaver. "Honestly, I would tell you if I could." Then he runs into the house.

Please Comment!

2 comments:

  1. "Topher, what have I told you about losing followers?"

    "Go on Hiatus for six months and no one will remember you exist..."

    ReplyDelete