...

...

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Chapter 1: Sketchy Introductions

(Here's the first chapter! I'm really excited about this one. :) Cats In The Kitchen belongs to my older brother Robin Gibson.

Tri yelps as she falls towards the building in front of her. “Chez Burger? Guess I’m in the right place.” Putting out her paws to break the fall, she hits the side of the building. “Wait, paws?” She looks down at her white furry body, “Well, that’s new...”

Midnight is sitting in the makeshift break room taking a smoke break when she hears a yelp and a thump. “What now?”

A white weasel with aquamarine tipped fur lands on the ground in front of her. “Oof.” Standing up, she looks herself over again. “Well, I like the shoulder belt.” She has on a pair of hiking boots, light green cargo pants, a purple t-shirt with frayed hems, and a beige shoulder belt that’s holding her lightsaber. She looks up, “Oh, hi there.”

The waitress nods. She looks around, then sighs. “Do you fall out of the sky often? You seem pretty used to it.”

Chuckling, Tri dusts herself off. “More than you could imagine. Although, I’m normally not a weasel.”

Alan pokes his head out the back door, “Midnight, I need you back inside.” He notices Tri and raises an eyebrow, “Hi there.”

“Hey.” She waves, “Sorry for dropping in like that. I’ve got somewhere to be, anyways.”
------------------------------------------------------

“So, why do you think I’m a weasel now?” Tri spins around, showing off her new form.

The cat in front of her thinks for a moment, then shrugs. “This is an all animal dimension. I don’t think it’s possible for humans to exist here.” Tri looks up at her friend, one eyebrow raised. The cat has long shaggy light brown fur that hangs down to cover his left green eye, black paws, nose, ears, and tail, and he’s wearing khaki cargo pants and matching jacket over a black t-shirt and hiking boots. “What? It makes sense.”

She smiles and shakes her head. “So… why are you in this dimension as well as yours?”

He rubs the back of his neck, looking down at the ground. “Well… actually…”

Tri crosses her arms, “Topher, what aren’t you telling me?”

Topher sighs, “I’m actually from this dimension.” He looks up, “I used special technology to go into Thalia, then figured out how to easily travel between both dimensions… I’m sorry I lied to you about where I came from.”

The weasel (Man, writing that should take some getting used to!) puts out a paw, a smile in her eyes. “I’m not mad. Lying to me actually takes some pretty serious skill.” She raises her eyebrows, “Want to get something to eat? I saw a little French restaurant when I dropped in. Cheeseburger or something like that.”

Her friend chuckles, “That would probably be Chez Burger. I’ve eaten there before. Good food, grumpy waitress. And you don’t need to fake an ID to get in.”

“Topher! Have you been eating at pubs?” She glares at him.

He puts up his paws in defense, “Hey! They’re cheaper! And I never get alcohol.”

Tri sighs, “See, that time I could tell you were lying. You need to learn how to control that ear twitch.” She rolls her eyes, as he reaches up to hold his ears down. “Let’s go get something to eat. I’ll buy.”


Please Comment!

4 comments: