...

...

Monday, August 10, 2015

Chapter 2: Cheeseburger

CITK belongs to my older brother Robin Gibson.
 
Midnight looks up as the two friends come in. "Hey Alan, it’s that weasel from earlier."

The sous chef looks up and smirks. "The one who ‘fell out of the sky’?"

"I heard and saw what I heard and saw." She sighs, and walks to the front to seat the two. "Hello again. Welcome to Chez Burger and all that."

Tri raises an eyebrow and turns to her friend, "I see what you mean."

He shrugs, "I tell it like it is." He smiles politely at Midnight, "Table for two, please."

She rolls her eyes, "Oh, I was going to sit you at a table for four."

Topher flinches, "Sorry for confusing you, then."

Tri raises her eyebrows, "She was being sarcastic." She smirks at Midnight, "Sarcasm is lost on my friend." She pats his head, "Just seat us, please."

Huffing, the grumpy waitress obliges. After they’re seated, she brings them menus. "Oh, and the sous-chef wants me to tell you that we are out of over-easy eggs."

Tri raises an eyebrow, "That’s okay. I like poached better. In fact, this asparagus thing looks good." She looks down at her menu.
Topher chuckles, "Um, isn’t it impossible to be out of over easy eggs?"

"Nope. Not here, anyway. Do you want something to drink or something?" Midnight takes out her order pad.

The weasel nods, "Yes actually. Can I have a half-cup of coffee please? And a glass of milk."

Topher smiles, "Can I please just have a glass of water?"

Midnight nods and walks away. Tri rolls her eyes, "Topher, we're going to have to teach you what sarcasm means."

He flinches, "Can we do that later? I need your help with something."

She stiffens, "Has anyone hurt you?"

"Not exactly..." The cat pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket and hands it to her. "But they are going to if I don't do this job."

--------------------------------------------------

Tri walks up to Midnight after she pays for her breakfast, "Hey, could you pass on a message for me?"

Sighing, the waitress turns around. "I guess."

"Could you tell whoever made my breakfast that I really enjoyed it? I'll certainly come back here again before I leave town." Tri waves as she walks away. Topher holds the door open for her, and they walk towards the beach. "You told me you would stop stealing."

He flinches again, "When was the last time I kept a promise? Plus, I need the money."

She sighs, "Okay... I'll help you with this last job. But if we get caught, you're on your own. I don't need another town like Darren's."

Topher forces a smile, "How are you two doing, anyway?"

Tri raises an eyebrow at him. She makes that expression a lot. "It's been tough lately. He's so old-fashioned."

He rolls his eyes, "He lives in colonial times! Or is it earlier than that?"

She coughs, "Can we talk about something else?"

"Uncomfortable subject?" Topher knows that his friend doesn't much like to talk about her boyfriend. "Fine. Hey, what's that?" He points out at the ocean suddenly, "I thought I saw a pod of dolphins!"

She looks where he's pointing, "Imagination much? I don't think dolphins would come this close to shore."

He glares at her, "You know I have no imagination! Mainly because you've been inside my head..."

Tri bites her lip, "I'm learning how to control it. Anyway, I believe you. Want to go see if I can call them closer?"

He shakes his head, "Nah. Let's just head back to my place. We can discuss everything there."

Sighing, Tri follows him, throwing one last glance back at the water. Topher wasn't making it up, there are dolphins swimming along the shore. "I always feel so drawn to the ocean. I wonder why..."
Topher shrugs, "I don't know." His ear flicks nervously as they near his house. "My social service agent is here."

"Do you want me to..." Tri shifts uncomfortably. "I always feel uncomfortable around people who are with the foster system."

He looks up at her, seeing the slight colour fade in her eyes and fur. "You don't have to come in right away, if you want. I'll text your cellphone."

She smiles slightly, "Thank-you." Then climbs into her backpack, which vanishes. Topher smiles slightly and walks into his house to meet with his foster parents and social service agent.

-----------------------------------------------------

The next day, he meets up with Tri for breakfast at Chez Burger again. "My foster parents said they would adopt me."

Tri raises her eyebrows, "So why the gloomy face? Isn't that good news?" Under her breath, she adds, "For some reason..."

Topher nods, "But I'm worried that if they knew about my... job, they would decide to send me back to the foster system." He looks down, his bangs shifting down over his eyes. "I can't get out of it. And I don't want to have to search for another family, Tri."

"I don't understand, so I'm not going to say that I do. But I could 'talk' to your boss for you if you want." She smirks a little, her hand going to her lightsaber.

He stops her with a look. "You would 'talk' to him? Really? Because I more see you causing him extreme physical damage."

She chuckles, her eyes tinting purple briefly. "More like death. But let's eat. We'll discuss this later."

As they go in, he tilts his head to the left. "Hey, how can you afford to eat at places like this?"

The weasel narrows her eyes, "You aren't the only one who does odd jobs. And the money I carry with me converts to whichever dimension I'm in."

Alan places a plate on the counter, "Order up!" He looks over at the weasel and her friend. Why would Midnight say she saw her fall out of the sky? That makes no sense...

Midnight grabs the plate, "Shouldn't you be rushing back to the kitchen to make more orders?"

He sighs, "I've got to admit, you've peaked my curiosity."

"With the flying flashlight weilding weasel girl?" She narrows her eyes. "Or are you just teasing me again?"

The sous chef raises an eyebrow, "That's not a flashlight. It's a lightsaber."

She looks at him blankly, "Is that from those space wars movies?"

He looks at her, sighs sadly, and backs into the kitchen. "It's Star Wars, but yeah."

Please Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment